Journal Volume 7 2013
Greystones: a small fishing hamlet near Delgany (continued/1)
An elegant domestic chapel is in its immediate vicinity. The demesne, containing above 600 acres, commands a variety of magnificent prospects. There are several walks leading to the Octagon House, Banqueting-room, and Turkish Tent; and within it is a park of 55 acres, well stocked with deer. These beautiful grounds are open to the public on Mondays and by special application on other days. Besides Bellview, there are several other fine seats affording delightful mountain and marine views, the chief of which are Templecarrig, the residence of Major Beresford; Glencarrig, of the Rev. H . Madden; Coolagad, of R. Fox, Esq.; Rathdown, of W. Morris, Esq.; Kindlestown House, of Capt. Morris; and Kindlestown Lodge, of J. Evans, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Dublin and Glendalough, united by act of council, prior to the year 1700, to the vicarage of Kilcoole and Kilmacanogue, together forming the union of Delgany, in the patronage of the Archbishop. This union also comprehends the ancient chapelries of Killossory, Doran or Hartain, Kilbride, Carrick, Kilmacbur, Glassmollen, and Grangenowal, which are now only known as townlands. The tithes amount to £206-2s-33/4d, and of the union to £594-19s-4p. The glebe-house stands on a glebe of more than two acres near the church. The church, which was erected in 1789, after a design by Whitmore Davis, and at the sole expense of Peter La Touche, Esq., is a spacious and handsome structure, enlarged in 1832, by a loan of £1200 from the late Board of First Fruits: it is in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower surmounted with pinnacles; the altar is on the north side, and the font of black marble was presented by Chalworth Brabazon, Esq. At the east end is a handsome monument to David La Touche, Esq., finely executed by Noah Hickey, a native artist, consisting of a full length figure of the deceased in a standing posture, surrounded by several members of his family. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Kilquade, and partly in that of Bray.
Delgany Church (Avril Price-Gallagher)
The parochial school, and a school at Greystones, are supported by subscription; and at Windgates is a school on the foundation of Erasmus Smith; all are under the superintendence of the Protestant clergyman. Here is a dispensary in connection with that at Newtown-Mount-Kennedy, also a parochial library and a poor-shop for supplying the necessitous with goods at cost price; and two legacies, amounting to £67-10s, have been bequeathed to the poor. On the farm of Mr. W. W. Ireland is the picturesque ruin of the chapel, or cell, of St. Crispin; and at a short distance from it, in a deep ravine towards the sea, stands the ruins of the castle of Rathdown, the ground plan of which may be traced, and the basement story of a tower, the walls of which are four feet thick are still visible. On the townland of Kindlestown are extensive remains of Kindlestown castle. The remains of the former church are in a burial ground at a short distance from the present building; and in the small hamlet of Windgates is a very large cairn.