Journal Volume 7 2013
Freeman’s Journal, 26 August 1871
First referred to in Samuel Lewis’s 1837 topographical survey, Killincarrig mill was initially owned by Arthur Jones of Killincarrig House, then by the Hawkins-Whitshed (later the Burnaby) estate, and was known for many years as ‘Courtney’s mill’. This 1871 letting notice provides information on the mill at a time when it was in full operation. Further details of the mill’s history can be found in Sean Daly, ‘The old corn mill, Killincarrig’, GAHS Journal, Volume 2, 1995.
To be let … the Flour Mill of Killincarrick, near Greystones, with the Dwelling-house, Offices, and Garden, now in the occupation of Mr James Courtnay, who is removing to other concerns.
The Mill contains three pairs of flour stones of the best quality, with the necessary machinery for cleaning wheat and dressing flour, and one pair of large stones for grinding Indian corn, with sifter for dressing meal.
The entire is driven by a powerful waterwheel 22 feet high with inverted segment, &c.
There is also an auxiliary Steam Engine, horizontal, 20-horse power, with patent boiler, adapted for driving the Mill in connection with or without the water-wheel.
The district produces abundance of wheat of the finest quality.
The flour mill in more recent times
The Dwelling-house contains two Sittingrooms, four Bedrooms, Kitchen, and other necessary apartments.
The Mill and concerns are situate within less than a mile of the Greystones Railway Station on the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway.
Mr Courtenay will show the premises.
Proposals in writing will be received … by Alfred H Wynne, Esq., the Receiver, Collon House, Collon, County Louth …